Skip to main content

Expecting Greater Things

 

Expecting Greater Things


    Studying the word of God and reading the bible are entirely different things and can dramatically change your life. This is not to say that simply reading the bible is not good but if you are applying scriptures to your life, I can not stress enough the importance of actually studying it. 
    
    When I was reading the bible I could easily skim over the words and call it a day and say "there, I've read my bible". But I knew I needed to study when I realized that I was confusing two emotions that should never be confused for each other. 

    Those emotions were anxiousness and excitement. Anxiousness is characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts, and physical changes like increased blood pressure. While excitement is a feeling or situation full of activity, joy, and exhilaration. 

    The scripture that would trip me up with these two was Philippians 4:6 (New International Version or the NIV) "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." So because I would read the word anxious, I would assume that I should not get TOO excited about something that was about to happen. 

    As I grew older, I started to actually experience anxiety. That's when I recognized that this was not the same feeling as excitement. I was hindering myself from experiencing joy. Because I was not aware of this difference, every time something happened that was meant to cause excitement. I would shake myself out of it and just say "I'm grateful, let's not get too excited".

    This thought of "Let's not get too excited" quickly became a fear. I would fear if I was too excited about something that it would not happen. Boy was I so wrong. When I recognized this incorrect application of scripture I decided to study to find out where I went wrong. 
    
    That's when I decided to read different versions of the same scripture. I would switch between the NLT, KJV, and NIV. I would always have a dictionary ready and a pen and some highlighters. I would get the scripture that comes to mind, or read the scripture of the day but then I would go back and read the whole chapter so I could understand what was being said, who said it, and why.  I never wanted to misinterpret God's word ever again. 

Side note: The Bible App is my favorite app to use! Not only can I read different versions of the bible but I can also take notes, share with friends, create cool scripture photos, and do plans based on anything that I am facing in life! If you don't already have it, you should definitely consider downloading it. 

  It's ok to get excited!

    As I begin to take the journey with starting a business, one that I feel God has ordained me to start, I couldn't help but to get excited. Sometimes my joy even coaches me through my faith. If God is asking something of me and it looks completely impossible, why wouldn't I get excited?

    I want to be hopeful, and full of joy. Afterall I actually do believe that God is going to do everything He said He would do through this company. It's time to get excited again because that is where your strength lies. There are so many songs that speak on it. One of my favorites is the Marvin Sapp song 'Praise Him in Advance'. 

    Life can get so crazy and so many unexpected things can happy. We may not be in control of much but we can't be out here letting people, things, or circumstances steal our joy or trick us into believing that we don't have the right to rejoice. I pray that for those who have been putting on a brave face and pretending that you are happy. I pray you find your smile again and take back your joy. I pray that you'll remember that the joy of the Lord is your strength. And I pray that even when you don't see hope you rejoice anyhow, having faith that God will provide and protect. In Jesus Name, Amen! 

p.s... I love you and thank you for the views! Don't hesitate to like, leave a comment, or share so you can bless someone else! 

Comments